MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
Thanks to the Hazel McCallion Fund for Arts, Culture and Heritage at the Community Foundation of Mississauga, VAM is offering Members FREE Member Appreciation Days’ Activities. There is no charge but space may be limited so please call the office (905-277-4313) and register if you would like to join us. Sessions will be fun, informative and full of creative camaraderie. Not yet a VAM Member? No worries – you can sign up today. Click JOIN US to become part of the VAMily. There are lots of other Member Benefits to enjoy.
6. Sunday, Mar. 4 – 1-4 pm – The Juried Show. Discussion and Q+A with Curator Judy Daley about the art of curating and insight into jurying visual art.
7. Monday, Mar. 5 – noon – 1 pm – Indian Rainbow – Lunch and learn the origins of colour with Artist, Amrita Virdi. Join Artist Amrita Virdi as she shares her recent 4 month trek through India where she learned about natural pigments and created new artwork reflecting her journey through this vibrant and colourful nation. We will have snacks but feel free to bring along your lunch.
8. Friday, Mar. 23 – 7-10 pm “Art and Craft” Film and discussion led by artist instructor Helen McCusker about copyright law in visual art.
9. Sunday, Mar. 25 – 1-4 pm – Death of the Sketchbook. Artist and illustrator, Paul McCusker will discuss the evolution and innovation of the sketchbook, paper and beyond!
10. Friday, April 20 – 7-10 pm – Contemporary Cape Dorset Artists Discussion led by marketing manager William Huffman about cultural appropriation and contemporary Indigenous art. Art Activity to follow.
11. Friday, May 4 – 1–4 pm – Wonderful Washi with Nancy Jacobi, founder and owner of The Japanese Paper Place. Share her passion for Washi, the Japanese word for traditional papers, wa meaning Japanese and shi meaning paper and discover infinite creative possibilities using these beautiful papers.
BONUS PERK! Saturday & Sunday, May 26 – 27, 9 am – 4 pm. As a special follow up to Wonderful Washi, join Kim Lee Kho as she helps you design and bind your own creative journal using washi paper courtesy of the Japanese Paper Place. VAM members are invited to register for this special workshop for half of the non-member price!
PAST APPRECIATION DAYS’ EVENTS
1. Sunday, Oct. 22 – 2-4 pm – Bianka Guna Golden Artist Colors, Inc. QoR Watercolors Lecture and Demo with Bianka Guna. A short presentation of (by Golden Artist Colors) history will keep every watercolor lover well informed. All participants will receive free product samples and a literature packet, including color charts and QoR sample cards.
2. Friday, Nov. 17 – 7-9 pm – So you want to Show your Artwork? Art Gallery of Mississauga Curator of Contemporary Art Kendra Ainsworth will show you how to get you ready for exhibiting your work. Q+A to follow.
3. Sunday, Nov. 19 – 1-4 pm – Artwork Critique led by York University Professor and world renowned typographer Paul Sych. Paul will lead a discussion and group critique, Students are invited to bring one or two pieces of artwork, a few which will be selected for discussion.
4. Friday, Dec. 8 – 7-10 pm Making Art for Giving. Join us for a social evening of art making. Helen McCusker and Gillian Sych will guide this creative play session. Materials are included.
5. Monday, Jan. 15 – 7-10 pm – Drawing From Life. Join artists Kim Lee Kho and Kal Honey for an evening of film and group discussion about the creative process and the artist’s life.
- About Us
- Contact Us