Summer fun, friends, fresh air and Fantastic art projects!
Each summer our campers make new friends, exercise their imaginations and enjoy time outdoors surrounded by the beautiful scenery of Riverwood. Each week is designed to offer a fun and unique array of arts and crafts to appeal to each age group!
Summer 2020 Themes
Theme 1: Between the Pages
Inspiration for creating artwork can be found between the pages of our favourite picture books, novels and comic books. Campers will open up their imagination this week to draw, paint, print and create visual masterpieces connected to the world of books. Chapters include: characters, scenes, adventure and visual storytelling. If your child loves to devour illustrated picture books, laugh along with the Wimpy Kid or draw their own characters, this camp is for them!
Theme 2: Artist’s Passport
Travel around the world this week – pack your creativity! Campers will make their own Artist Passport at VAM and collect stamps as they ‘meet and make’ with artists from different countries. Our travel itinerary includes: touring ‘mini art galleries’ within our studios and getting hands-on with art materials to make souvenirs inspired by cultural styles and historical art movements. A must-do week for budding artists and aspiring backpackers!
Theme 3: Our Living World
The sun shines down on VAM Summer Art Camp! We are surrounded by trees, flowers and charming creatures that make the forest their home. This week, campers will celebrate our living world by inviting nature into our studios. Our environment will be our muse while we will sketch outside, study nature and engage in thoughtful art-making incorporating recycled and upcycled materials. Campers can keep an eye out for creatures big and small during daily nature walks – bring your hat and love for landscape!
Week 10: The Best of Summer Camp 2020!
Join us for a bonus week of Summer Camp this year. During our final week, campers will get a taste of all 3 camp themes as they make or recreate our best projects of the summer!
Camp Instructors & Staff
VAM camps are led by highly-qualified art instructors teaching an array of skills and projects in a co-operative learning environment. Camp support staff include student volunteers, volunteer coordinators, co-op students and administrative staff. All camp staff ages 18+ have up-to-date police checks and a minimum of four staff members at any time hold current First Aid Certificates.
- Camp runs from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm daily.
- Each day offers a morning and afternoon break plus a one-hour lunch break.
- Children play outside during breaks and lunch, weather permitting.
- Wednesdays offer a change in routine with an afternoon of water fun , a movie or camp games.
- Fridays are pizza days, each camper gets 2 slices of delicious cheese pizza!
- Extended Care Available: 8 – 8:45 a.m./$25 per week; 4:30 – 6:00 pm/ $40 per week; Before and After camp care/$60 per week. Book Extended Care when you register for camp.
Camp Safety and Discipline
At VAM, we strive to provide a fun, safe and enriching program to all of our campers. Respect and fair play are always encouraged and VAM has a zero tolerance policy regarding violence and bullying.
- We train our camp instructors working with children in HIGH FIVE ® Principles of Healthy Child Development to best address the needs of your child.
- HIGH FIVE ® helps us ensure your child is in good hands and will enjoy a positive experience in our programs.
- HIGH FIVE ® is the only nationally recognized quality assurance program for ages 6-12. We are always open to your feedback about our programs.
THE BEST ART CAMP IN THE CITY
But you don’t need to take our word for it…here’s what our campers and parents have to say:
” Just wanted to let you know that my 12 yr old daughter is loving this week’s summer art camp at VAM. She is bringing home some absolutely stunning creations and is enjoying the thoughtful instructors and interesting subject matter.”
“Congratulations on such wonderful art pieces. Huge success!”
“It should be called VAAM-Visual Awesome Arts Mississauga instead!”
“My daughter learns so much and has begged to come back again!”